Spiritual Care Practitioner
St. Michael’s Hospital
Two Full-Time Permanent positions
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
The Spiritual Care Department, as part of Mission Integration, keeps alive the Mission, Vision and Values of its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto and the Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario. The Spiritual Care Department is seeking experienced Spiritual Care Practitioners to fill two permanent Full-Time positions. Reporting to the Manager, Spiritual Care, these positions will be based out of the St. Michael’s Hospital site. The successful candidates will join a dedicated Spiritual Care team in providing 24/7 high quality psycho-social-spiritual, religious and cultural care to patients and their families as fully participating members of the health care team.
These positions will require flexibility in working ALL shifts, including both regular (8 hour) and extended (12 hour) – predominantly Day Shifts but an ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as needed is required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing and promoting high quality spiritual, religious and cultural care that is consistent with the Mission and Values of Unity Health Toronto for patients, their families, and hospital staff.
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the spiritual care needs of patients and their families; and clearly communicates the spiritual needs and plans to inter-professional team members through concise documentation.
- Providing care that is respectful of religious, spiritual and cultural diversity by supporting ethical discussion and difficult decision making by patients, their families and staff.
- Actively engaging patients, their families and staff in developing an understanding of the relationship between spiritual, religious, physical, emotional, psychological and mental well being.
- Being available and accessible to patients, their families, and staff within the continuum of care, especially those experiencing spiritual and emotional distress.
- Demonstrates best practices in end-of-life care, grief and bereavement support.
- Enabling effective team collaboration and functioning as a full participant on a variety of clinical teams.
- Facilitating a variety of staff support strategies nurturing collaboration & supportive community.
- Providing appropriate opportunities for prayer, sacraments, and other rituals.
- Collaborates with community clergy and spiritual care partners (where appropriate) making referrals and helpful connections with the patient’s/family’s community support.
- Successful completion of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE);
- Current Membership and Specialist Certification (or Certification in process) with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC).
- Masters Degree in Divinity, Pastoral Studies, Theology, or equivalent.
- Ability to relate theology and behavioral science to the practice of spiritual care.
- Demonstrated spiritual maturity and integrity coupled with a high degree of sensitivity, compassion, gentleness, caring, humility and approachability.
- Knowledge of various models of spiritual care and their appropriate use in a variety of practice contexts.
- Demonstrated ability to be with people in their most vulnerable time exploring meaning and identifying values.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills and crisis intervention techniques.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as a member of both the spiritual care team and inter-professional teams; and capable of working independently.
- Previous clinical experience in a fast-paced acute care hospital required.
- Previous clinical experience working with patients/families experiencing trauma and disadvantage
- Excellent communication (verbal/written English), interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications in a Windows environment (Word, Electronic mail, electronic documentation).
- Demonstrated commitment to the Mission and Values of Unity Health Toronto.
- Must have an excellent attendance record.
Please Apply through: https://unityhealth.to/careers/