Position: Spiritual Care Practitioner
Department: Spiritual Care
Status: Temporary Full-time (approximately 1 year)
Hours: Monday – Friday, days – 7.5 hour shifts (Hours are subject to change based on operational requirements)
Site: OTMH or MDH (must be able to provide availability at all 3 hospital sites as needed)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we take healthcare to a new level to meet the urgent needs of our community’s growing and aging population. We are a distinctive centre of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
The Spiritual Care Practitioner is responsible to assess and provide psycho-social, spiritual and emotional support for patients, families and staff. The Spiritual Care Practitioner assumes an active role on the Spiritual Care Team, within the hospital sites and units as assigned, while demonstrating a commitment to compassionate, person-centered care within an inter-professional context.
This is what you’ll be doing:
- Provides spiritual care and supportive counseling to support patients and their families, team members and other health care providers.
- Provides clinically based spiritual assessment, care and counsel for patients and families to facilitate their search for meaning and hope in their present situations.
- Assesses the spiritual and religious care needs of patients and their significant others and offers care directly and/or makes appropriate referrals to other members of the inter-professional team and/or to community partners.
- Assists in the co-ordination of special events such as Memorial Services, Remembrance Day acknowledgements, and seasonal events.
- Documentation of the spiritual care provided, including referrals received, assessments, plans of care, desired outcomes, and referrals to other professionals. Maintains appropriate records, including the use of a workload measurement system
- Provides after death care; bereavement referrals, viewing in the morgue when requested.
- Participates in Staff Support program (including facilitation of Critical Incident Stress Management sessions) and other initiatives related to supporting staff in the workplace
- Facilitates spiritual, psychosocial, emotional and religious support, across all programs, and to those of all religious and cultural practices, for both crisis and non- urgent care.
- Documents assessment, plans of care and interventions in Meditech in a timely manner
- Coordinates community religious leaders to provide a volunteer after hours /weekends spiritual care response for urgent cases for Milton and Georgetown Hospital sites. Mentors and supports volunteers after critical events.
- Orients volunteers, provides training in relevant Halton Healthcare policies and procedures, such as PPE.
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Two completed advanced units with Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC/ACSS).
- Specialist certification with CASC/ACSS preferred.
- Master’s in Theology or relevant graduate degree preferred.
- At least one (1) year of relevant clinical experience
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in inter-professional teams.
- Must be proficient in writing, reading and speaking English
- Evidence of multi-faith ministry practice
- Evidence of ongoing education and professional development
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have self-initiative and be able to work autonomously
Date Posted: June 2, 2022
Internal applications due by: June 9, 2022
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we’d like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone’s cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.