Spiritual Care Practitioner/Chaplain
The Spiritual Care Department, as part of Mission Integration, keeps alive the Mission, Vision and Values of its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto and the Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario. The Spiritual Care Department is seeking an experienced Spiritual Care Practitioner to fill a permanent Full-Time position. Reporting to the Manager, Spiritual Care, this position will be based out of the St. Joseph’s Health Centre site. The successful candidate will join a dedicated Spiritual Care team in providing 24/7 high quality psycho-social-spiritual, religious and cultural care to patients and their families as a fully participating member of the health care team.
This position will require working Day Shifts (Sunday – Thursday).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Celebrating Daily Mass (Sunday – Thursday).
- Administering Roman Catholic Sacraments as requested.
- Oversight of Roman Catholic Eucharistic Ministers.
- Provide and promote high quality spiritual, religious and cultural care that is consistent with the Mission and Values of Unity Health Toronto for patients, their families, and hospital staff.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate the spiritual care needs of patients and their families; and clearly communicate the spiritual needs and plans to inter-professional team members through concise documentation.
- Provide care that is respectful of religious, spiritual and cultural diversity by supporting ethical discussion and difficult decision making by patients, their families and staff.
- Actively engage patients, their families and staff in developing an understanding of the relationship between spiritual, religious, physical, emotional, psychological and mental well being.
- Be available and accessible to patients, their families, and staff within the continuum of care, especially those experiencing spiritual and emotional distress.
- Demonstrate best practices in end-of-life care, grief and bereavement support.
- Enable effective team collaboration and functioning as a full participant on a variety of clinical teams.
- Facilitate a variety of staff support strategies nurturing collaboration & supportive community.
- Provide appropriate opportunities for prayer and other rituals.
- Collaborate with community clergy and spiritual care partners (where appropriate) making referrals and helpful connections with the patient’s/family’s community support.
- Successful completion of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE);
- Current Membership and Specialist Certification (or Certification in progress) with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC).
- Masters Degree in Divinity, Pastoral Studies, Theology, or equivalent.
- Ordination as a Roman Catholic Priest with faculties received from the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto.
- Ability to relate theology and behavioral science to the practice of spiritual care.
- Demonstrated spiritual maturity and integrity coupled with a high degree of sensitivity, compassion, gentleness, caring, humility and approachability.
- Knowledge of various models of spiritual care and their appropriate use in a variety of practice contexts.
- Demonstrated ability to be with people in their most vulnerable time exploring meaning and identifying values.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills and crisis intervention techniques.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as a member of both the spiritual care team and inter-professional teams; and capable of working independently.
- Previous clinical experience in a fast-paced acute care hospital required.
- Previous clinical experience working with patients/families experiencing trauma and disadvantage
- Excellent communication (verbal/written English), interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications in a Windows environment (Word, Electronic mail, electronic documentation).
- Demonstrated commitment to the Mission and Values of Unity Health Toronto.
Competition # 853412