Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization – including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Reports to: Principal, Middle School
Summary of Position:
The school’s commitment to innovation and excellence in education has enabled BSS to welcome students who reflect the diverse ethnic and religious backgrounds that are now Canada. The Chaplain will, like The Bishop Strachan School, be deeply rooted in the Anglican tradition while adopting an imaginative and dynamic approach to the spiritual, emotional and educational needs of the girls and the community, not in compromise but in an authentic desire to reflect the diversity of the world of which BSS is a part. The Chaplain will appreciate and maintain the sanctity of the Chapel and the meaning it has in the school community. The Chaplain’s work is undertaken in keeping with the vision, mission and values of BSS.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- In agreeance with the Board and Head of School, clarifies overall vision for chapel in the school
- Implements an imaginative and dynamic approach to the spiritual needs of the community while maintaining our Anglican heritage
- Oversees Junior, Middle and Senior School Chapels, including content and schedule in collaboration with staff and students
- Ensures the liturgy has integrity and relevance for our diverse community, reflects the common beliefs of the community and engages students at an age appropriate level of interest and currency reflective of our multi-faith community
- Incorporates events, topics and speakers of all faiths allowing the community to construct their own interpretation of faith, spirituality and the world
- Enables and encourages student voice in Chapels and special events
- Plans, leads and participates in special services and functions (e.g. Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day) in liaison with Grace Church on-the-Hill
- Advises the student Chapel Guild and other student leadership groups as required
- Reviews the curriculum for opportunities to develop, implement and deliver integration of values & ethics, world religious traditions and spirituality to enhance girls’ emotional & spiritual development and their development of a balanced, inclusive and intelligent worldview from JK to Grade 12, as appropriate
- Is an active member of the Student Life and Belonging Te
- Administers the Sacraments (especially Marriage, Holy Communion, Confirmation) as required
- Liaises with Student Services and Boarding to ensure support for students is available as required
- Counsels students, faculty and staff, as needed
- Offers support for staff and students in bereavement
- Performs outreach with the Alumnae community
- Maintains close relations with Grace Church and the Churches on-the-Hill and develops close working relationships with other faith leaders
- Actively tries to be part of the school and weaves themselves into various school events and activities
- Works with Advancement to plan and prepare for weddings in the Chapel
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging values into all activities
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other related responsibilities as required
Experience, Skills and Attributes Include:
- Ordained and licensed member of the Anglican clergy
- Masters Degree and/or further training in relevant disciplines, such as counselling, social work etc.
- Experience working with young people, especially young women, and a demonstrated knowledge and skill in addressing their interests and concerns
- Demonstrated ability to actively listen to and communicate with young women as well as multiple generations of Alumnae
- Experience using Zoom/Google Meets for streaming live chapel would be an asset
- Demonstrated leadership skills and team-building skills
- Ability to see multiple perspectives
- Understanding of the importance of diversity and a global perspective in implementing an inclusive world view
- Confident in personal faith journey and open to the journey of others
- Skilled in conflict resolution
- Ability to multi-task, work under time pressure, take initiative and be a self-starter
- Ability to work collaboratively, deal with ambiguity and contribute effectively as a member of a team
- Open, consultative style of decision-making
- Musical abilities an asset
- Flexibility and a sense of humour
- Commitment to and passion for furthering the work of the school and girls’ education
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow – and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Faculty members participate in the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan and our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided
- Discounted tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We are also committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating School Chaplain position in the subject line.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca