Interim posting – Principal of UTC
A renewable interim appointment of three years, starting on July 1st, 2018
Nestled in the heart of McGill University’s dynamic downtown campus in the vibrant city of Montréal, Québec, the United Theological College is looking for an individual who will help it achieve its next step on the path to sustainable growth.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate:
Experience in transformational leadership and visioning
Proficiency in both English and French
Experience in strategic planning and fundraising
Experience in teaching and mentoring of students
The successful candidate should possess:
Knowledge and understanding of The United Church of Canada
Solid internal and external communications skills
Strong abilities for inspirational and collaborative leadership
Demonstrated capacities for networking and team-building
A doctoral degree (with an applicable specialisation)
Additional advantages of a successful candidate are:
Ministry experience in The United Church of Canada
Certificates or degrees in management
Experience with distance and continuing education
Demonstrated academic accomplishments (publications etc.)
For more information about this exciting challenge, please, refer to the job description below.
The United Theological College is an Affirming Ministry and an equal opportunity employer. Please, refer to our website www.utc.ca to find out more about our history of being fully inclusive of people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Candidates from a variety of diverse backgrounds are actively encouraged to apply and identify themselves as such in their application.
In order to apply, please, send your letter of intent, CV, three references and an outline of your expectations in terms of salary and benefits to the attention of:
Raoul Gebert, Chair of the Personnel Committee
United Theological College
3521 Rue University, Montréal, QC H3A 2A9
N.B. Please, take the time to draft a strong letter of intent, outlining your views of the purpose and mission of theological education in the ever-changing landscape of today’s United Church of Canada and beyond.
Job description – Principal of the United Theological College (UTC)
Supported by an engaged community of students and volunteers, as well as a strong team of dedicated Faculty and staff, the Principal of UTC will:
- Exert overall leadership and strategic planning, setting UTC on a path to sustainable growth as a progressive, bilingual and Affirming institution of theological education;
- Act as the senior administrator of UTC with regards to the oversight and support of all staff members and Faculty, as well as financial and legal matters;
- Ensure the long-term viability of UTC through building a network of supporters, planning and implementing fundraising activities, and initiate grant applications and other financial initiatives;
- Support the recruitment of students to UTC by acting as an inspiring ambassador within relevant communities and stakeholders including, but not limited to, bodies of The United Church of Canada, international and immigrant communities, as well as francophone and otherwise diverse communities in Montréal, Québec and beyond;
- Support the creation of a vibrant student community at UTC and MST and engage in academic advising, teaching and mentoring activities, as needed.
- Encourage lay people’s education and ensure a regular presence of the college in preaching and worship in the wider community;
- Accompany, develop and empower the multiple boards and committees of UTC, the Montréal School of Theology (MST) and McGill University;
- Actively participate in the various bodies of The United Church of Canada including, but not limited to, General Council, Quebec Presbytery and the Ottawa-Montréal Conference;