Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2018-31268 External
BARGAINING UNIT: Non-Bargaining
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: SJHO Spiritual/RelCare
FACILITY: St. Joseph’s Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: Director Spiritual Care
CLASSIFICATION: Non Bargaining
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Days, Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $24.59 to $34.37 per hour (PayBand 4)
To assure that a spiritual ministry is provided for patients by developing, implementing and co-ordinating a program of spiritual care. 2
To facilitate the work of denominational chaplains and/or community religious care providers.
To effectively contribute to the ability of the institution to address the total health needs of patients by integrating attention to spiritual needs at all levels of care.
To facilitate and coordinate all voluntary or community spiritual services and assure that religious beliefs of patients are respected: to assure that patients, families or personnel have opportunity to participate in religious activities on a voluntary basis.
To interpret the role of the Spiritual Care Department within the total health care program.
- Master’s Degree in Theology, Spirituality or Related field
- Certified Spiritual Care Practitioner with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care. (Applicants who are in working toward certification may be considered.)
- Knowledge of various theologies, religious and spiritual traditions and ecclesiology’s and demonstrated ability to work in a multi faith environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess psychosocial-spiritual needs and to develop a spiritual care plan.
- Some management training and skills necessary for team leadership
- Knowledge of health care ethics
- Commitment and motivation
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English required
- Recommend policies concerning the spiritual dimension of total patient care to the Spiritual Care Committee and Hospital Administration.
- Document spiritual assessments for patients to facilitate integration of spiritual care into the total care plan.
- Ensure that the spiritual needs of all patients, whatever their beliefs are addressed.
- Develop and implement procedures for the provision of spiritual services in line with approved policies.
- Support the work of denominational chaplains and community religious care providers, so that they may provide effective support for members of their faith community who have requested their care.
- Provide support to patients, families and staff by being available to them during times of high stress.
- Coordinate a process that will ensure access to clergy support, if requested, in crisis situations.
- Act as a resource for consultation by hospital or medical staff on ethical/religious/spiritual issues.
- Act in a liaison role to facilitate interaction between community clergy; nursing and hospital staff when necessary.
- Interprets the spiritual care function to hospital personnel, religious denominations and organizations and the community at large in coordination with the Area Manager of Spiritual Care and the Clinical Practice Committee for Spiritual Care.
- Organizes and participates in continuing education program for hospital staff and members of the spiritual care staff.
- Serves on Hospital committees and collaborates with multi-disciplinary health team. Works closely with the St. Joseph’s Hospital Advisory Committee and the Director of Mission, Ethics and Spirituality.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by April 4, 2018
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time
Please quote Competition # 2018-31268-External. Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.
For French version of this ad: Click here