Clinical Fellowship in Spiritual & Religious Care
(June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2019)
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is one of Canada’s most exciting hospitals, an academic centre of excellence offering a full range of high quality services with a values based, compassionate person-centered approach to care. The ideal candidate is passionate about the importance of: innovative professional practice, interprofessional teamwork, best practices, quality improvement, continuing education/professional development, academic scholarship, the student experience and demonstrates a commitment to the communities we serve. Applications are now being received for a Spiritual Care Clinical Fellowship position. This is a Learning opportunity in preparation for Specialist Certification.
Date posted: March 19, 2018
Deadline for applications is Thursday, March 29, 2018.
Applicant Requirements & Skills/Qualifications:
- Successful completion of 2 advanced units of CPE.
- Endorsement by one’s faith community.
- Commitment to seeking specialist certification in the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC/ACSS).
- Masters Degree in Spiritual Care or Theology
- Experience facilitating Groups in a Mental Health Care setting
- Ability to manage conflict and emotional distress
- Collaborate with other inter-professional team members, volunteers, family leaders and community partners to provide support to patients and families in person or group settings using a range of methods and materials.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Compassionate, Person-centered and Family focused care philosophy required
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population of patients, families and health care staff.
- Must be proficient in writing, reading and speaking English; Multi-lingual abilities are an asset
The position offers:
- A challenging and diverse clinical setting that includes Acute/Trauma Care, Critical Care, and Mental Health. (Specific clinical foci, as well as some hospital-wide on-call coverage).
- A lively multi-faith and inter-professional work environment.
- Excellent opportunities for inter-professional learning.
- Specialist consultation support.
- Opportunity to gain clinical hours for CASC Specialist Certification and CRPO (College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario) Registration
- Participating in a high functioning and committed Spiritual & Religious Care Team.
- Reports through the Director of Inter-professional Education with mentorship and direct supervision provided by the Professional and Education Leader for Spiritual and Religious Care
Expectations & Summary of Duties:
- Self-motivated; active member of the Spiritual & Religious Care team
- Assess and provide spiritual care and emotional support for patients, families and staff at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre ensuring diverse spiritual and/or faith traditions are respected, and ensuring patients/families have access to spiritual/religious and cultural rituals and services as appropriate or requested.
- Participate in inter-professional team meetings incorporating the patient/family spiritual needs into the overall care plan.
- Assume an active role in the Spiritual Care Team and assigned units while demonstrating a commitment to compassionate, relationship-centered care within an inter-professional context.
- Advance current professional expertise and specialized knowledge in spiritual care.
- Committed to presenting at Spiritual Care Grand Rounds as well as at least one Conference presentation
- Assist with the co-ordination of Spiritual Care Week activities
- Assist in the co-ordination of special bereavement functions such as Memorial Services.
To apply, please send the following:
- A CV describing your work and education/research experience.
- An outline of your professional goals.
- A copy of your second Advanced CPE Evaluation.
- Contact information for two references.
- A brief description of your philosophy of spiritual care.
For more information and to apply, contact:
Rev. Bill Ford
Professional and Education Leader
Spiritual & Religious Care
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Room H234
2075 Bayview Avenue
Toronto Ontario M4N 3M5