The Spiritual Care Department is seeking an experienced Chaplain/Spiritual Care Practitioner to fill a permanent Full-Time position. Reporting to the Manager, Spiritual Care, this position will be based out of our St. Michael’s Hospital site. The successful candidate will join a dedicated Spiritual Care team in providing 24/7 high quality psycho-social-spiritual care to patients and their families as a fully participating member of the health care team. This position will require flexibility in working all shifts, including both regular (8 hour) and extended (12 hour) predominantly day shifts. However, an ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as needed is required.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing and promoting high quality spiritual care that is consistent with the Mission and Values of St. Michael’s Hospital for patients, their families, and hospital staff.
- Assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the spiritual care needs of patients and their families; and clearly communicating the spiritual needs and plans to inter-professional team members through concise documentation.
- Providing care that is respectful of religious, spiritual and cultural diversity by supporting ethical discussion and difficult decision making by patients, their families and staff.
- Actively engaging patients, their families and staff in developing an understanding of the relationship between spiritual, religious, physical, emotional, psychological and mental well being.
- Being available and accessible to patients, their families, and staff within the continuum of care, especially those experiencing spiritual and emotional distress.
- Demonstrating best practices in end-of-life care, grief and bereavement support.
- Assisting in the preparation and leading of Hospital Memorial Services.
- Enabling effective team collaboration and functioning as a full participant on a variety of clinical teams.
- Facilitating a variety of staff support strategies nurturing collaboration & supportive community.
- Providing appropriate opportunities for prayer, sacraments, and other rituals.
- Collaborating with community clergy and spiritual care partners (where appropriate) making referrals and helpful connections with the patient’s/family’s community support.
- Engaging opportunities for Research and Quality Improvement in Spiritual Care.
- Current Membership and Specialist Certification (or Certification in process) with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC) or Spiritual Care partner organizations (ACPE, NACC, APC).
- Masters Degree in Divinity, Pastoral Studies, Theology, or equivalent.
- Ability to relate theology and behavioral science to the practice of spiritual care.
- Demonstrated spiritual maturity and integrity coupled with a high degree of sensitivity, compassion, gentleness, caring, humility and approachability.
- Knowledge of various models of spiritual care and their appropriate use in a variety of practice contexts.
- Demonstrated ability to be with people in their most vulnerable time exploring meaning and identifying values.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills and crisis intervention techniques.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as a member of both the spiritual care team and inter-professional teams; and capable of working independently.
- Previous clinical experience in a fast-paced acute care hospital required.
- Excellent communication (verbal/written English), interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications in a Windows environment (Word, Electronic mail, electronic documentation).
- Demonstrated commitment to the Mission and Values of St. Michael’s Hospital – Unity Health Toronto.
- Must have an excellent attendance record.
To Apply: Qualified applicants should submit a resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org