Grey Nuns Community Hospital- Edmonton, Alberta
Regular Full-Time; FTE: 1.00
Date closed: 25-FEB-2019
Salary range: Covenant Health offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
Requisition number: COV00008941
This is your opportunity to join the dynamic health care team at the Grey Nuns Community Hospital (GNCH), which is an acute care hospital providing a full range of health services to a diverse and growing community in Edmonton. This full time regular position will provide spiritual care primarily to the Mental Health Units. You will share in shift and on-call responsibilities with the team of chaplains at GNCH. Your professional practice of being highly relational, will continue to support the strong collaborative culture at GNCH. You will report to the Spiritual Care Manager, Acute and Rural. Please Note: Travel is required, and may include the use of a personal vehicle. A standard driver’s abstract may also be required for use of corporate lease vehicles.
As a professional, integrated member on the healthcare team, the Chaplain, accountable to the Manager of Spiritual Care, seeks to improve the quality of life for patients, families, and staff, experiencing spiritual, moral or existential distress related to changes in heath, ability and life circumstances. Utilizing a holistic, relational approach, the Chaplain assesses the nature and extent of the client’s concerns, develops a plan of care, and provides therapeutic interventions to promote and engage the client in their healing process, focusing on the wellness needs and goals of the client. Chaplains use interventions informed by religion, spirituality and the social sciences as well as counselling psychotherapeutic theories and an awareness of cultural traditions. Chaplains honor and promote human diversity and inclusion while modeling respect and sensitivity. Chaplains initiate and engage in consultations and referrals with other professional colleagues and give spiritual leadership across Covenant Health sites.
• Commencement of a Master’s degree in theology or related field of studies from an accredited theological college.
• Completion of undergraduate degree in theology or related field of studies.
• Membership with the Canadian Association of Spiritual Care (CASC/ACSS). One year of related experience in institutional ministry.
• Specialist certification in supervised Pastoral Education from a CASC/ACSS accredited program preferred
• Three years of experience providing spiritual care in a healthcare setting.
• Suitable knowledge and abilities required for working within a continuing care or acute care setting, as well as with primary patient populations: women’s health, intensive care/critical care, surgery, psychiatry, medicine, palliative, geriatrics, emergency or pediatrics.
• Demonstrated understanding and ability to work in a multi-faith, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary setting.
• Commitment to personal and professional integration, as well as spiritual, psychological and emotional integration.
• Ability to be non-judgmental, maintain confidence, and affirm individual worth.
To view the posting please go to: Chaplain
Please note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All employees new to Covenant Health must provide a criminal records check. Covenant Health is committed to an inclusive work environment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. Participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan may be a requirement for the successful applicant.
Covenant Health is Canada’s largest Catholic health care organization with over 14,000 physicians, employees and volunteers serving in 12 communities across Alberta. A major provider in Alberta’s integrated health system, Covenant Health works with Alberta Health Services and community partners to positively influence the health of Albertans through a broad range of programs and services.CovenantHealth.ca